Author Tags: Religion
For his centennial history of St. Paul's Church, an unofficial North Vancouver parish that included the Burrard and Capilano Reserves, Father Thomas Lascelles partially relied on longtime parishioner Louis Miranda, a former Squamish chief and recipient of an honorary doctorate from Simon Fraser University on June 6, 1981. Born in 1892, Miranda was one of the foremost experts on Squamish culture and language. As recorded in Mission on the Inlet (Order of the Oblates, 1984), pastors at St. Paul's included Bishop P., Durieu (1994-1899), Father P. Richard (1899-1907), Father E. Peytavin (1908-1915), Father H. Boening (1916-1917), Father P. Plamondon (1917-1920), Father E.C. Bellot (1912-1913), Father A. Fleury (1937-1939), Father J. McGrath (1939-1940), Father H. Dunlop (1940-1942), Father H. Quinlan (1942-1945) and Father Lascelles. Founded in 1884, St. Paul's was officially a Mission, not a constituted parish, but it was managed like a parish church. The affiliate Infant Jesus of Prague church was built above the Dollarton Highway, east of the Second Narrows Bridge, in 1953.
Mission on the Inlet: St. Paul's Indian Catholic Church, North Vancouver, B.C. 1863-1984 (North Vancouver: Order of the Oblates, 1984).
[BCBW 2004] "Religion" "Missionaries"