Janette Glover-Geidt was born in Cumberland in 1934. As a third generation 'Union Bayite', she spent 22 years living in North Vancouver before returning to live at Union Bay and producing The Friendly Port, A History of Union Bay, 1880-1960, one of the most ambitious and lavish local histories ever privately undertaken in B.C. for such a relatively small community. Originally called Union Wharf, the town on the old Island Highway south of Courtenay arose when the Union Coal Company opened its Cumberland mines in 1888.

[BCBW 2003] "Local History"